Friends and family remember Lance Corporal Guillermo S. Perez, 20, of New Braunfels as a man with a bright smile who was "always laughing," according to a Tuesday report by News4 San Antonio.
Perez, a trained rifleman based in Camp Pendleton, was among nine men who died on July 30 in a training accident in San Diego, Calif. He enlisted June 24, 2019, according to a report in the Orange County Register.
The amphibious assault vehicle that sank during the accident was recovered earlier this week, military personnel said Tuesday.
A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family of Perez, known as "Willie" by his friends.
There is nearly nothing Texas loves more than its Saturday game days, and according to Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte, Longhorn fans can plan to pack the stands again in 2021—pending herd immunity.
- Longhorns band will not play "Eyes of Texas" at football game ... ›
- Texas Longhorns football coach Tom Herman job on the line after ... ›
- Excitement, tensions build as Austin expects 18k fans at first Texas ... ›
Journalists at the Austin American-Statesman and its six community newspapers won the right Wednesday to negotiate for a union contract.
The National Labor Relations Board in Fort Worth tallied the results of a newsroom election, in which 36 employees voted in favor of union representation and 12 voted against. The NLRB still must formally certify the election.
- New media company to cover soccer all across Texas - austonia ›
- Austin American-Statesman offers employees voluntary buyouts ... ›
- 7 Austin American-Statesman newsroom staffers laid off - austonia ›
- Manny Garcia to replace Statesman editor John Bridges - austonia ›
- Austin American-Statesman staff ask Gannett to recognize union ... ›
In early February, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk told fellow Texas transplant Joe Rogan that Austin was the "biggest boomtown that America has seen in half a century."
Days later, thousands across the city had no access to running water or power as Winter Storm Uri devastated the region.