Sonia Garcia is Austonia's audience development producer, where she engages with Austonia's readers through social media, newsletters and articles. A Rio Grande Valley native, Sonia is a 2020 digital media innovation graduate of Texas State University, where she wrote and edited for The University Star. She has previously provided cultural coverage of the Austin area as the features intern at the Austin American-Statesman. Twitter: @soniaaxgarciaa
5 reasons why Elon Musk and Grimes should choose Austin over Tulsa for the new Tesla factory—and HQ
Tesla's proposed deal to bring a new "Gigafactory" to Austin was quickly followed by rumors that the company might move its headquarters here too—and along with it, CEO Elon Musk and his family. But the agreements haven't been signed, and as far as anyone knows, Tulsa is still on the table.
1. The live music capital of the world<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzQxOTU2NC9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYzNjczMDE3MX0.Bda2QTZECzY4QW5FZL9_au1Doz8aIQkRwZpdoHweciI/img.jpg?width=980" id="cfb47" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="dee76b9ca1a3f26eda33dac7abb50512" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="ACL Concert Stage" />
(Choose_Freewill via Flickr)<p>Happy wife, happy life, right? What better place for Grimes to move than Austin, with its musical flare. </p><p>She would live among countless other musicians in Austin. Also for her convenience, there are <a href="https://gov.texas.gov/Apps/Music/Directory/results/studios/region/austin/p1" target="_blank">204 recording studios</a> in the Austin area, with endless opportunity to perform live, including at festivals like Austin City Limits, where she has previously performed.</p>
2. Friendly neighborhoods for raising children<div id="ffd66" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="5be6124c5af43dc24c5088fccce07162"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet twitter-custom-tweet" data-twitter-tweet-id="1257559216258084864" data-partner="rebelmouse"><div style="margin:1em 0">@flcnhvy @TeslaGong @PPathole @priscillabanana https://t.co/lm30U60OtO</div> — Elon Musk (@Elon Musk)<a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/statuses/1257559216258084864">1588660456.0</a></blockquote></div><p>With Grimes giving birth to son X AE A-XII last month, Austin would be a great family-friendly place for him to grow up. It has an array of highly-ranked primary and secondary education options.</p><p>Last year, millennials ranked Austin at the top of the list for friendliest, cleanest city in the U.S. in a <a href="https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/millennials-find-austin-to-be-friendliest-cleanest-city-in-america-study-reports#:~:text=Millennials%20find%20Austin%20to%20be%20friendliest,city%20in%20America%2C%20study%20reports&text=AUSTIN%2C%20Texas%20%E2%80%94%20Millennials%20have%20named,study%20from%20The%20Langston%20Co." target="_blank">survey conducted by Langston Co.</a> Austin is known as a progressive city that embraces a "weird" culture—perfect for the child of eccentric parents. </p>
3. Highly educated population<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzQxOTYwOS9vcmlnaW4ucG5nIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTU5OTQ2NTg5OH0.uEH0wSCu6m_EzlOkYyQOkS35Ga3-SiiXWEXPRqKg1y0/img.png?width=980" id="05530" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="fc0a3af4247ad8045527a137782481eb" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
(staff/Austonia)<p>Between 27 colleges and universities, Austin offers a highly educated labor pool for Tesla, and a great set of potential friends for the family. The need for engineering and technical workers would be easy to find in a city with nearly <a href="https://www.austinchamber.com/economic-development/austin-profile/education/overivew#:~:text=The%20University%20of%20Texas%20and,universities%20enroll%20over%20422%2C000%20students." target="_blank">45% of residents over age 25 having bachelors degrees</a>. </p><p>Also, in-state tuition for X AE A-XII—<a href="https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-elon-musk-net-worth-2017-10" target="_blank">not that they need the discount</a>.</p>
4. Personality of the city<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzM4OTI2Ni9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyNjkxODM4NX0.JfuizA-A_2tdd2O3fgam_RSElH2WAnhgobnpVl34UAk/img.jpg?width=980" id="37991" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="1fcd926b7ddeb0b019b2c59edd657552" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" alt="austin skyline downtown" />
(SeanPavonePhoto/Adobe)<p>A <a href="https://austonia.com/technology/elon-musk-tesla" target="_blank">source told Austonia</a> that Texas' "entrepreneurial, pioneering personality" matches that of Elon Musk. This couldn't be more true. Tesla could fit right in with the innovative culture of Austin.</p><p>Companies like Optimizely, Indeed and Bumble are just a few that have flourished in the city.</p>
5. Live among other celebs<img lazy-loadable="true" src="https://assets.rebelmouse.io/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJpbWFnZSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vYXNzZXRzLnJibC5tcy8yMzQxNzU2Ny9vcmlnaW4uanBnIiwiZXhwaXJlc19hdCI6MTYyMzA0Mjc1MH0.6CPFTLHNp4fKlVqpshGBmXN8LDagUp_wpWqjGj2buM8/img.jpg?width=980" id="9aadb" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="31757487e8b180c8735dffc907a0391e" data-rm-shortcode-name="rebelmouse-image" />
(UT College of Communication via Creative Commons)<p>There are no shortage of celebrities in California, of course, but Musk and his family would have good company as a few of Austin's local stars. It's a spot for celebs to get a smaller-town feel, but still live in a big city. </p><p>Celebrities living in Austin include Matthew McConaughey, Elijah Wood and Jenson Ackles.</p>
- Elon Musk seeks to fast-track $1.1 billion Tesla factory in Austin ... ›
- Tesla considering buying Austin site for new factory - austonia ›
- Travis County considers deal to bring Tesla to Austin - austonia ›
- Elon Musk threatens to move Tesla operations to Texas and Nevada ... ›
COVID-19 cases in Texas continue to reach record highs, leading Gov. Greg Abbot to cancel elective surgeries in big cities and pause the reopening of the economy statewide. We asked readers if they think Texas should shut down again, and the majority voted "yes."
Austin's Chris Bosh launches newsletter to 'spill stories' from Big Three's last NBA championship season
Former NBA Championship winner and current Austin resident Chris Bosh just launched a newsletter, "The Last Chip," with proceeds from the first month going toward Color of Change, a racial justice organization.
After a weekend of record-high COVID-19 cases in Travis County, health officials are concerned about the spread of the coronavirus. However, in a press conference Monday, Gov. Greg Abbott said: "Closing down Texas again will always be the last option."
We want to know what you think the state should do.
A petition to expel three Austin teens is circulating on social media after they posted a video containing racial slurs.
'If HE can’t breathe, then WE can’t breathe': East Austin mural in tribute to police brutality victims complete
Artist Chris Rogers has completed his East Austin mural—"If HE can't breathe, then WE can't breathe"—memorializing victims of police brutality, including George Floyd and Mike Ramos.
A new street mural is going up on 11th Street in East Austin today reading, "Black Artists Matter," following an initial mural painted Tuesday on Congress Avenue reading "Black Austin Matters."