Willie Nelson is celebrating his 88th birthday in signature style. The Austin country music star announced he'll spend his birthday with marijuana-loving fans everywhere with a three-day virtual cannabis convention.
Alongside his brand Luck Presents, Nelson will work to destigmatize marijuana use with his fest, called Luck Presents: Planting the Seed, on April 26-29.
Singer Nathaniel Rateliff will host the convention, which will feature "musical collaborations, comedy sketches, cooking demonstrations, health-focused activities and more." The fest will also hold speakers and panel discussions about misconceptions of the plant, the history of marijuana and its pervasiveness in today's culture.
The convention will also raise funds for Headcount's Cannabis Voter Project, an organization that works to get cannabis-friendly voters registered. Those interested in joining the summit will need to make a $10 minimum donation to get the golden ticket into the fest.
"The Cannabis Voter Project believes it's important for the cannabis community to be an active and informed voting bloc," the organization's website reads.
In a statement, Nelson said he hopes to educate people on marijuana misconceptions with his latest foray into cannabis culture.
"I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug," Nelson said. "Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?"
Nelson has dipped his toes into the weed landscape before—an outspoken weed enthusiast, Nelson started his own brand of recreational marijuana in 2015, followed by CBD brand Willie's Remedy, which focuses more on health and wellness.
Most recently, Nelson opened up about the pandemic, smoking weed and living a more sustainable life for his SXSW debut in March.
- Willie Nelson & Karen O, "Under Pressure" - austonia ›
- A Night for Austin: Willie Nelson and others raise $531.k - austonia ›
- A Night for Austin: Willie Nelson headlines benefit concert - austonia ›
- Beloved Austin native Willie Nelson receives COVID vaccine ... ›
- SXSW: Willie Nelson talks love, music and smoking weed - austonia ›
- 4/20 friendly: 7 Austin eateries celebrating April 20 in style - austonia ›
- 5 reasons Austin loves Willie Nelson - austonia ›
- 7 Austin places to get CBD products - austonia ›
- Travis County approves first Texas Hemp Harvest Festival - austonia ›
- Delta 8 has landed in Austin: what is it and who uses it? - austonia ›
- George Strait, Willie Nelson performing Moody Center's grand opening - austonia ›
- As Texas makes Delta 8 illegal, some Austin sellers are filing lawsuits and still selling it - austonia ›
- Austin voters could officially decriminalize marijuana in May election - austonia ›
- Austin City Council passes bill to decriminalize marijuana for May election - austonia ›
- CBD farmer hopes his crops can cure chronic ailments, COVID - austonia ›
- Willie Nelson to be honored in birthday tribute show - austonia ›
- 89 Willie Nelson facts for the Red Headed Stranger's birthday - austonia ›
Austin-Travis County EMS responded to a major car wreck involving multiple vehicles and a semi-truck along I-35 Wednesday morning.
The crash occurred at 12100 North I-35 going south, according to ATCEMS, with a total of 12 people involved, including one minor. Four were transported to the hospital with three declared trauma alerts. Another four people refused EMS transport.
None of the transports are expected to have life-threatening injuries.
Major Traffic Collision at 12100 N Ih 35 Sb (08:26). #ATCEMS & @Austinfireinfo are on scene of a collision involving multiple vehicles & a semi truck. #ATCEMSMedics reporting 12 total patients w/ 5 needing transport, 2 have been declared Trauma Alerts. More info to follow. pic.twitter.com/voKNcLbTDW
— ATCEMS (@ATCEMS) June 29, 2022
At 9 a.m., I-35 was blocked off from Yager Lane to Braker Lane.
- EMS responds to seven-car crash with 18-wheeler in Manor - austonia ›
- State Highway 130 reached all-time high traffic in 2021 - austonia ›
- TxDOT to reshape I-35 and remove upper deck near downtown ... ›
- Proposals for I-35 revamp address Riverside, frontage roads ... ›
- Community members stand opposed to I-35 expansion - austonia ›
Enjoy live music all weekend long and check out the hotels’ state-of-the-art amenities between sets. Make a splash in the pool, enjoy outdoor fire pits, or challenge your friends in a yard game while enjoying a weekend full of live music! Did we mention the package includes deluxe accommodations and a bucket of beer? Oh, and if you needed more convincing, this pet-friendly hotel means the whole family can join in on the fun.
Explore any of the Court Hotels by Valencia Hotel Group for a memorable escape. Each property offers a unique experience remnant of yesteryear but with all of the modern amenities that make for a fun and comfortable stay. With acres of landscaped courtyards, relax and unwind in an outdoor environment perfect for doing everything or absolutely nothing at all. With locations in Austin, College Station, Irving, and Lubbock your urban retreat has never been so close.
Locals and travelers alike are invited to enjoy the deep roots of Texas music all summer long with a robust lineup of live performances. From the banks of the San Antonio Riverwalk to Irving’s manicured streets, Valencia’s hotels are a place to gather and reconnect, offering uniquely Texan settings for the weekly performances.
“We’re proud of the community we’ve fostered among Texas musicians and the many rising stars who perform at our properties,” says Amy Trench, corporate director of brand marketing & PR for Valencia Hotel Group.
With unique programming at each of Valencia’s properties, there’s something for everyone to enjoy all summer long.
If you’re a Valencia Hotel Group Rewards member, the perks are plentiful. Enjoy up to 10% off the Best Available Rate, and for a limited time, members can save up to 15% off a stay of 2 nights or more, for select stays in 2022.
But that’s really just the beginning. At select locations, you can enjoy discounts on weeknight stays, a complimentary third night, or curated packages for a romantic getaway or a night of watching the Verde at Q2 Stadium. You’ll also find special rates for AAA and AARP Members, educators, and front-line heroes including military, law enforcement, fire, and rescue workers.