A winter storm warning is now in effect for Central Texas until midnight on Friday, according to the National Weather Service.
The NWS warns that up to a 1/4 inch of freezing rain could accumulate on elevated surfaces, causing possible slick spots on roads in Travis, Kendall and Blanco counties. The evening commute could be impacted, and NWS recommends to take extra precautions if travel is necessary. Power outages could occur.
The service also issued a Hazardous Weather Outlook, which states that freezing rain on bridges and overpasses could impact travel. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for Travis, Kendall, Blanco and Hays Counties until 3 p.m., and will be in effect until midnight for Williamson, Edwards, Kerr, Gillespie, Llano and Burnet counties.
Saturday and Sunday could see a hard freeze spread across Central Texas, while Monday and Tuesday morning will be "bitterly cold," according to the report. More freezing rain is possible on Saturday, and sleet or snow is expected on Sunday night and Monday morning.
More on the cold:
- Second cold front expected to hit Austin tonight - austonia ›
- Arctic Austin: how to protect your home in freezing weather - austonia ›
- Storm headed to Austin, snow expected - austonia ›
- Winter freeze: Icy roads, power outages and school closures - austonia ›
- Gov. Greg Abbott cautions Texans to stay off "treacherous" roads - austonia ›
- Road conditions worsen as freezing rain makes for icy roads - austonia ›
- 2 dead, 4 injured in East Austin fire in winter storm - austonia ›
Scheduled showers, porta potties and hotel stays: Hundreds of Austin apartment complexes still don't have water
The last night Stephanie Landgraf, 25, spent in her apartment, off of Rundberg Lane, was on Valentine's Day. First, her power went off, only to return shortly after the complex lost water. Since then, she's been staying with friends. "There's no end in sight," she told Austonia. "At this point, I'm just angry."
- As reservoirs begin to refill, two zones regain water supply - austonia ›
- Austin faces 'multi-day' water crisis after winter weather - austonia ›
- Water distribution plan continues as Austin Water works to restore ... ›
When city services shut down, four Austin influencers stepped up to bring thousands of free meals to the community.